- A preventive health check up helps in preventing and in some cases in the early detection of chronic ailments.
- Certain illnesses start showing noticeable symptoms only in the extreme stages, but a periodic checkup will help in diagnosing them in the early stage.
- Helps to spot the signs and symptoms of life-threatening ailments such as cancer, HIV, etc.
- Promotes better and effective disease management through medication and counselling
- Assist and encourages to follow a healthy lifestyle
Wednesday, 21 December 2016
Medical innovations and technological advancements have increased the lifespan of people. But has it improved the quality of health? Many people suffer from chronic health conditions that make their lives extremely painful and miserable. The symptoms of these diseases prevent them from living a normal life and overwhelm their willpower. But these can be avoided with the help of preventive healthcare.
Preventive healthcare practices help you to maintain good health throughout your life. Studies note that a significant number of individuals in the age group of 40-65 years are affected by lifestyle illnesses. International medical bodies recommend that women above 40 years and men above 35 years need to undergo an annual health check up.
What are the tests conducted during an Annual Health Check-up?
The tests depend largely on your medical history and family history. However, a full medical checkup is done commonly for everyone, and that includes some tests such as –
The physician discusses with you about your previous medical conditions including ailments, medical procedures undergone and medications taken. In the case of the presence of any particular diseases in the family such as chronic heart diseases, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, etc., the doctor will suggest few screening tests.
Examination of vital signs:
Your vital signs such as heart rate, blood pressure, respiration rate and temperature are checked by the doctor. A checkup is done to look for irregularities in heartbeat and status of lungs.
A full body exam:
A physical examination is done to the neck, head, mouth, teeth and gums. The ears, eyes and nose, are also checked. An examination of the lymph nodes and thyroid are also done. The abdominal exam reveals the health status of liver, digestive system and bowels. Other areas include joints, arms and legs.
Blood test for heart disease, diabetes, cholesterol, cancer, and anemia are common during an annual health checkup. A blood test can also give details about the functioning of other vital organs such as the liver, kidney and thyroid.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PREVENTIVE HEALTH CHECK UPS
In short, a preventive health checkup goes a long way in helping you to lead a happy and healthy life throughout a lifetime. Undergoing an annual medical checkup will help you save time and money that you would otherwise have to invest in treating other illness. With stress and tension lurking in every corner of our lives, maintaining a good health will help you to lead a more satisfying life.
Monday, 26 September 2016
Friday, 3 June 2016
Kidney stones or calculi are tough mineral deposits that are formed in the kidneys. The kidney aids in filtering the waste products from the blood and let them into the urine. When the waste products do not break up completely they are formed as hard calculi and then get trapped into the ureter. If it is untreated it may cause infection and also leads to poor functioning of the kidneys.
Several hospitals in India treat various problems in Kidney effectively. Treatment for kidney stones at India is very successful as many skilled Urologists are available at top hospitals. They make use of latest technology and treat effectively with affordable rates.
Symptoms of Kidney stones:
When the stones block the ureter and interrupts in the urine flow symptoms begin and it includes,
· Severe pain while passing urine
· Pain in the lower abdomen and back area
· Presence of blood in the urine
· Vomiting and nauseate feeling
· Feeling burning sensation while urinating
· Pain extending to groin and testicle region
The management of Kidney stones highly depends on the size and nature of the stones present. Those stones which are 5mm or less than that are not treated clinically and it comes down in the urine when the fluid intake is more. If the stones are made of calcium it does not respond to the medications and they are treated through surgical interventions.
· Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL):
The calculi that are smaller than 2cm can be segmented using shock waves which then are flushed out through the urine. It usually takes 45minutes for the procedure and done as a daycare intervention. It is considered as one of the safest procedure without any harm to the kidneys.
A tiny specialized instrument called scope is introduced into the bladder which reaches up to the urethra by means of ureter without making any cut. The stones are then segmented by using holmium laser which makes it as a powder. It is a painless procedure with minimal loss of blood.
· Percutaneous Nephro Lithotomy (PCNL):
The stones that are larger than 2cm in diameter are treated with PCNL. It is a kind of keyhole surgery in which a small incision is made in the area above kidney. It is performed under general anesthesia and requires 3-4 days stay at the hospital. The recovery time is quick and is much safer procedure.
· Open surgery:
The stones that are more complex are removed by means of surgery that is done by making a cut in the abdomen region.
Home remedies for kidney stone removal:
· You can consume two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with one teaspoon of honey with a cup of warm water and have it for few times in a day.
· Mix four tablespoons of lemon juice with same amount of olive oil and consume it three times a day for about three days. The citric acid in the lemons helps to fragment the calcium deposits. It is not effective for larger stones.
· The seeds and the liquid of pomegranate have astringent properties. You can have one fruit or a glass of juice daily or you can grind the seeds and make it as a paste and have it along with horse gram soup.
· Add two table spoons of dried nettle leaf to one cup of boiling water and allow it boil for ten minutes and filter and have the water for two to three times for few weeks. It prevents from the formation of stones and also enhances smooth urination.
· Basil is good for overall health and has many medicinal properties. Mix one teaspoon of basil juice with honey and have it early morning for few months. It helps in the expulsion of stones from urinary tract.
· Watermelon is used to treat calculi’s that are formed by calcium and carbonates. The juice when consumed regularly helps in aiding the overall health of kidneys.